Blog Archive

Sunday, May 11, 2008

North Carolina at Last!






I-40 East does a bit of a northeast and then southeast stretch across Tennessee from Memphis to Nashville to Knoxville. The pay off is a lovely drive through the Smokey Mts. and a descent into North Carolina. Asheville is the first major town and I elected to set up my tent near a semi swamp. Water fowl had just hatched and provided a bit of amusement at a rather dreary spot.

The next stop was Morgantown as I made my left turn north to head up toward Wilkesboro. I knew one of the former Superintendents of the North Carolina School for the Deaf back in the 60's and had heard wonderful things about the institution. It is gorgeous. Enrollment is way down and it might be a starving but attractive dinosaur.

Up the road is Lenoir, NC - an attractive little town trying to capture the energy of folks moving into the lovely area. The HogWaller Outfitters is an interesting shop featuring a wide range of merchandise and a hot local shop for middle school age boys interested in skateboarding. Tons of options at the HogWaller and I wish them well.